Friday, February 21, 2014

Profile of A Volunteer

My co-worker, Anne brings bread to work about three days a week. One of those days, the bread is to share with us, her work community. On the other days, Anne drops the home baked bread off with a friend or an acquaintance that is struggling with or celebrating life. Anne ministers with bread. You can taste love in her work. I cannot begin to estimate how many loaves of bread that have left Anne's kitchen. In baking, Anne celebrates life's high points, a new baby, a college graduation, a promotion at work and life's low points, a death, a divorce, a miscarriage.

Anne's bread is symbolic of her passion for connection and community. In times when so many of us write checks to organizations or volunteer to serve on boards, Anne's act of kindness seems so intimate in comparison. Anne's bread says I care. I care enough to bake, to deliver the bread, and to show up at your doorstep for a brief (or not so brief) visit. In it's simplicity, the bread heals. Anne is our school readiness facilitator in the district. One of her major responsibilities has been to assist immigrant families in navigating the school district. She takes her time to get to know each family and astonishingly remembers their names, names that take practice to master years later. When Anne sees an alumni family at school, so many of them thank her for her gift of bread to welcome them.

I know bank presidents who give large amounts of cash to programs but  never take the time to know anyone being served there. I know CEO's who donate to the food bank but never dine with folks who live in poverty. Anne's story resonates with me in a way that leaves me inspired to make real connections with people as I volunteer. Organizations that put real people in the path of folks who need them, like Big Brothers, Big Sisters, the Miller Mentoring Program, and Ready, Set, School are all local organizations that make a real impact with people power. Kindness is powerful, kindness matters.

2 comments:

  1. Katy,
    Anne raises volunteering to a new level. You are so right when you say it is easy to donate money or food, but how often do we donate our time. Time and compassion are acts of volunteering that some families need more than anything else. I will remember Anne's acts of kindness as I go about my day interacting with others. As I read your post, I realized I am guilty of giving what I think someone needs instead of learning what they really need. Thanks for sharing this inspiring story about Anne.
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your quote that "kindness matters". What an inspiring story. I admire people like this, taking time to put love and effort into helping people in their own way. What compassion Ann shows by baking for people and delivering it to them. I love how she gives in good times and bad. When we think of volunteering, often we think of helping people in bad times but helping people celebrate is important too. Thank you for your story.

    ReplyDelete