Friday, April 25, 2014

It's a Wrap!


Yay! I am so proud of us! We did it while we worked, while we cared for our families, while we lived already busy lives. We finished a degree. Here are three big take aways for me among hundreds of smaller ones......

1. Technology is amazing. I finished my first degree in 1984. At that time, I stood in line to register for each class I wanted to take (sometimes for an hour) to hand them a registration card before I ran to the next line to register for another. I spent hours and hours a week IN an actual library because that is where the information was. I carried a large book bag full of reading material. I typed on a typewriter and corrected my papers with white out. All of my friends were on campus. We would meet to have long study sessions before tests and to prepare for presentations. Technology has made it possible for me to get my fourth degree without having to leave my home. I will miss having a university library on my dining room table.

2. The ability to write well is a powerful tool. Hanging indents had me in tears in September of 2012. Mastering the mechanics of APA again has taught me patience and given my voice clarity. All my life I have relied on my face to face communication skills to interact with the world. Walden required me to rely solely on my writing ability to express myself. I am a stronger writer having been a student at Walden and have a deeper respect for writing as a communication tool.

3. I know many people who  hold a dreams in their heart but very few people who carve out the time and a plan to make those dreams come true. I know now that ANYTHING is possible and that I DO have the time to make a difference in the world. We have found 15 hours a week to complete coursework at Walden for almost two years now. What great things could we make happen if we honored this experience by continuing to carve out the time, for the rest of our lives to make the world better for children? I intend to find out.

I am grateful. I appreciate each and every one of you. I respect the work you do. I would love to meet you. Here is how you can find me....

Katy Smith   www.facebook.com/KatySmithWinona   LinkedIn   Twitter @KatyMN12        kackley@hbci.com    www.katysmithconsulting.com    GooglePlus

5 comments:

  1. Katy

    I love, love, love your video. It is so unnerving knowing that on Wednesday there will be no discussion board. So I will have that cup of tea and wonder what in heavens name will I do know???????!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations and much success in your future!!!!!!

    Ivelisse

    P..S. I remember you liked my wordle in the beginning of this class. I hope you like the new one I posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katy,
    I so enjoyed your video. Although we did not have this last class together, I had to respond to your blog to say goodbye! You have already accomplished so much in your career so the sky is the limit for you. You are a very energetic and enthusiastic individual who motivates others to keep going. Thank you for all the encouragement you have given me. Take care,
    Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you video and the advice to not go idle. You are absolutely correct when you say we still have so much work to do! This is just the beginning of our journey! You are correct when you say that technology is amazing, at this point I do not know that we would do without it. I know it would not have been as easy to get my degree. I wish you good luck in all your goals and hope that all your dreams do come true!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katy,

    I love your video and thank you for everything you have done for me during our last course together! I gained so many wonderful ideas from you and you have inspired me to continue to be a strong leader!

    Continued blessings and successes and love the Wednesday message-LOL!

    Nicolette

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Katy:
    What a wonderful experience we have had on this journey! Each step has been made brighter by your invaluable contribution too, Katy.Congratulations on your achievement! Thank you for sharing your effervescent personality and I wish you all the best in your future endeavors.
    Sharon Munroe.

    ReplyDelete